Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Review # 27: Bird's eye Steamfresh Broccoli and cauliflower

As well all know, or have been told, when you steam vegetables they loose all of their nutrients. Keeping that in mind, I guess it doesn't matter what condition your steamed vegetables are in. However, I tend to steam them anyway because they just lend themselves to dishes better that way. I've always liked broccoli and I love cauliflower. They are best raw with ranch, but in this case I was looking for something to mix into my Annies shells and aged white cheddar dinner. Sometimes I don't go with the fresh vegetables because you usually have to buy an entire head of cauliflower which for me is not cost effective. I also usually get the store brand of couli-broccoli mix, but today the QFC was sold out of the Kroger brand, which I usually steam on a colander. Lo and behold, they had this Bird's eye steamfresh mix that you nuke in the microwave on sale for $2.00. What the hell? I have to say, it's not much worse ( but still a little worse) than steaming the other frozen vegetables. It is a hell of a lot faster, though. They were all a bit soggier than the other usually are, but they didn't get in the way of me cooking the pasta, which can be a problem when steaming because we only have one pot in my house. all in all, it's always better to use fresh vegetables, duh, but if you go for frozen save some time and use the microwave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home